Saturday, September 06, 2014

A strategic retreat

The DMN nails Obama hard for quitting on immigration this year.

Sometimes the White House has a strategy. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Turns out, it doesn’t much matter. Either way, President Barack Obama can find a way to tick off pretty much everyone.

Just over a week ago, he invited all kinds of derision by conceding that when it comes to military action in Syria to deal with the brutal Islamic State terror group, “We don’t have a strategy yet.”

On immigration, he did have a strategy. By the end of summer, he would roll out executive actions to overcome stalemate and obstruction in Congress. “In the absence of action by Congress, I’m going to do what I can do within the legal constraints of my office,” he said Friday in Wales.

The next morning, this morning, he abandoned that approach.

The details never came into focus. The White House kept playing for time, stalling on the fine print even until Saturday’s bombshell.

In order to mollify a few Senate Blue Dogs, the president has capitulated.  It's losing the war in order to hope to win a couple of battles.  It could not be more in keeping with his profile as a weak leader.  I'd like to say I am not surprised he chickened out, but I have to say that I am.  I can only imagine how frustrated Latinos must feel.

I'll outsource my remaining disgust to Jorge Ramos.

Back in 2012, Ramos brought up that first broken promise about getting immigration reform done his first year as president. Ramos pressed Obama to admit he didn’t keep his promise, but Obama insisted that he had to switch priorities to deal with the global financial crisis.

Ramos responded, “You promised that. A promise is a promise. And with all due respect, you didn’t keep that promise.” Obama maintained he still wanted to get it done, he just needs cooperation from Congress first.

If the GOP wants to impeach Obama after they take control next year, I'm going to find it difficult to stand in their way.  I always thought Joe Biden would make a better president than Hillary Clinton anyway.

Update: More here and here.

No comments: