Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Grumpy Old Man, Part II

Those "hey-you-kids-get-off-my-lawn " jokes don't seem so funny this morning. I'm starting to feel sorry for poor old McGrouchy. I know I shouldn't...

I wasn't even aware of the outrage over "That One" until I got home and checked in online. I heard him say it but my reaction was that it was just more of the same nasty attitude he has demonstrated through two nights and three tortuous hours of "debate". I didn't see it as anything worse than everything else he has said and done to disrespect Obama. But Mrs. Diddie saw '50's-vintage racism laced within the retort.

Others also took offense, but I just don't think it was a racist remark, even subliminally by a guy who has a record of bigoted remarks.

No, McCain is just a mean old bastard. He left the hall quickly with his trophy wife following the debate, while Obama stayed long after and worked the crowd. Remember, this face-off was held in Nashville Tennessee, as red a state as they come. And during the "town hall" McCain touched the shoulder and shook the hand of a former chief petty officer who asked a question, so rapport with the audience -- even if it was superficial -- shouldn't have been his problem.

McCain is ornery, quick to judgment and self-righteous -- in other words, a classic conservative. Some would say "Maverickey".

And contrary to what he thinks about himself, I don't believe John McCain's hand is steady enough for the tiller.

No comments: