Friday, April 23, 2021

EOW Wrangle from Far Left Texas

A bit more than a month until Sine Die, and we're ready for this legislative session to be over.


Poor Garnet Coleman got gaslit.  Of course, so did all of the rest of us who thought Medicaid expansion had enough votes to pass.  I'ma go ahead and blame Dade Phelan.  You can't tell me he didn't lean on those turncoats.  In other Lege business, there were some good things that happened.


Sorry, bitches.  You're still the Ridiculous Party.  Sometimes, though, even the Donks can find a way to shit their bed a little faster.


I did a piece for Earth Day yesterday ICYMI, and the only party whose candidates will get my vote in 2022 without reservation.  The Greens are mobilizing from yesterday to May Day for their issues, local candidates this year, and statewides in 2022.



There has never been a greater urgency for their cause.  Please help by volunteering, donating, or just voting for them.


More election news, and then I'll get back to environmental updates.


Don't let the assholes win in Austin, y'all.  Because there's bigger assholes than Greg Abbott that want his job, and I'm not talking about Matthew McConaghey or Sid Miller.


Read this thread from John Arnold, the Enron billionaire and hedge fund operator, about how he sees the long-term financial prospects of fossil fuel companies changing.


Yesterday a new green project kicked off here in H-Town, and it has the support of the oil and gas companies, Rice University, and a few other corporate and national and local big shots.


Maybe this can be a good thing.  The trends are certainly promising


Some of these I'll take with a grain of salt, much as I do Joe Biden's promises, declarations, etc.


Yeah, I just had to get that in there.  Here's some social justice items.


And a couple of COVID updates.


Here's some developments on cannabis in Texas.  Perhaps drafting off the Green Party's "Earth Day to May Day" (above), Willie Nelson has declared this same period "holy".


I doubt that it's a coordinated campaign, but "Go Green" in whatever fashion suits you is a sentiment I can heartily endorse.


And in case that gave you the munchies, I have some links to share on the topic of La comida Mexicana.


I was turned down by eleven banks before I finally got a loan. Every loan officer I talked to told me the same thing: “Oh, we did a restaurant loan back in 1952 and we lost our ass. We’re never doing that again.” Finally the president of one bank did it because he liked me. He liked the ideas and thought it would be good for the bank—they had a lot of minority depositors but hadn’t made any minority loans. So I got an SBA loan for $100,000, plus I had $500 from selling all my musical instruments and equipment from the band I had been in. [...] I found a carpet place selling shag carpet pieces in different colors and we put those in the cantina. When tortilla chips fell on the carpet, we used garden rakes to get them out. Then we took the cardboard tubes from the carpet rolls, cut them in half lengthwise, and painted them to look like weathered Mexican roof tiles. [...] Mariano’s was the most expensive Mexican restaurant in Dallas when it opened. Customers would tell me, “When we go to El Chico or El Fenix, we take the kids and go early. When we go to Mariano’s, we get a babysitter, we have frozen margaritas in the cantina, an elegant dinner in the dining room, and then we go back to the cantina for flaming coffee or after-dinner drinks.” We helped break the image of cheap Mexican food in Dallas.


And some art and literature links to soothe for the weekend.


Here's an excerpt from Goodreads.

No comments: