Monday, January 04, 2010

Some postpourri, happy and sad

-- This morning the mayor of the fourth largest US city formally took office. Charles, John, Martha and Neil were all in attendance. Wish I could have been there for the history.

-- Kelly Fero passed away suddenly today. He had consulted many Democratic candidates; John Sharp, Tony Sanchez, Jim Mattox and others. In recent years however he was mostly one of the go-to people when the corporate media needed a quote about some Democratic political development. Ross Ramsey at the Texas Tribune has more.

-- RG Ratcliffe has listed the statewides (including the Republicans) so I don't have to update this.

-- Hector Uribe and Jerry Patterson are already exchanging pleasantries. After Uribe filed to challenge the incumbent Land Commissioner, Patterson responded:

"Hector's a friend and fellow actor. We were both in the recent movie ‘The Alamo’, filmed near Austin, albeit on different sides in the conflict (actually Hector had a real part, I was just an extra). When Hector surrendered at San Jacinto, I should have shot him when I had the chance... "

As an afterthought he added, "I hope folks understand then we were just acting, now it's a real war."

And then Uribe rejoined:

"Jerry is a friend and quite a good actor. I was happy that he and I escaped the fantasy battles without a bruise. However, I am concerned that he seems to be reliving his part. I’m his opponent not his enemy, and he can put his gun away.

When he was reported as saying that he was desperately looking for an opponent I took pity on him and finally decided to make his day. Although I suspect I’m not quite the E-Harmony candy-date that he was dreaming of.

I’m sorry I can’t accept his proposal that we go on a stroll along our eroding beaches on some smog obscured moonlit night to discuss public policy. I think those talks ought to be held at a series of public, televised and internet forums.

Texans, Jerry and I will be the better for it.

No comments: