Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Earl W. Dorrell 1929 - 2013

That's my Dad, whom I have referenced here a time or two.

USN Seabees, 1947

In the past few weeks, complications from end-stage dementia worsened his suffering, and so his peaceful passage this morning is, truly, a blessing.

Date and age uncertain, but a little before the first one.

After he and my mother divorced when I was 16 years old, Dad went on to remarry a woman from his church, June Davis, who had her own children our ages -- we had all gone to school together -- and they traveled the country in their "fifth wheel" in retirement.  They also made a couple of trips overseas, one to the Holy Land.

My stepmother passed away peacefully at home in December of 2011, and after that my father and mother enjoyed a reconciliation.  They had lunch often and other visits to look at old photos and remember and laugh about the good times on several occasions over the past year-and-a-half.  Here's a photo we all took at Mom's 87th birthday celebration this past June.


Requiescat in pace, Pop.

8 comments:

Noah Horwitz said...

My deepest condolences, Perry.

Jonathan Jeffries said...

It's hard losing anyone, harder still to lose a Dad.

Gadfly said...

Sorry to hear. Per your post earlier this morning, when I saw the header on this, I knew what was up. I hope he passed away as peacefully as possible.

Unknown said...

Earl dorrell was my Papa, he pulled me in the red wagon, looked after me in the summers, taught me to spin a basketball on my finger, beat me at cards, loved my sweet grams and was the greatest Papa anyone could have. I loved these pictures, he was such a handsome guy. I am sad, but im glad hes in peace. Love you Papa. - Angie Abbott

Friendly emperor said...

That's a handsome family, PDiddie.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your father but, as you suggest, a good, as well as a sad, ending.

Best to you,

PW

Charles Kuffner said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Perry. Please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family. Your dad was clearly a standup guy, and he will be missed.

Liz Abbott said...

Perry, I'm sorry for your loss. I am glad to see your entire family was able to get together near the end once again. That's a wonderful sight to see. He was the best PaPa my kids had.

Greg said...

Perry -- whatever differences we may have, know that you have my sincerest condolences and will be in my prayers.