Tuesday, August 22, 2006

You're eating WHAT ?!?

I've gotten more than the usual inquiries lately regarding the origin of the title of this blog, and though I've answered the question "What is 'Brains and Eggs' and why do you call it that?" many times, I haven't done so here.

Brains and eggs were considered a breakfast delicacy by my maternal grandmother, who lived in the South -- mostly Arkansas and Louisiana -- and through the Depression. I suspect that what she ate was cow brains scrambled with eggs, because during her life people rarely disposed of any part of a beef cow, and the two items cooked together have a similar consistency and texture. But it could have been calf brains or even pork brains that she was so fond of (perhaps my mother, who reads this blog, will post a comment and clarify).

KookyChow.com has an interesting page informing us that a 5.5 oz can of Armour's Pork Brains contains almost 12 days of the recommended (?) value of cholesterol:



More references to "brains and eggs" appear online; a Yahoo search turns up an episode of the television comedy "3rd Rock from the Sun" by that name which first aired in January of 1996, and contained some of the following dialogue:

Dick: I think we underestimated the life on this planet. The people have so much courage. Here they are hurling through space on a melting rock on at 67,000 miles an hour and the only thing that keeps them from flying out of their shoes is their misplaced faith in gravity.

Mary: For future reference I have a red Volvo.
Dick: Please, Dr. Albright, we barely know each other.

Nina: Is your wife out of town?
Dick: Er, Mrs. Solomon is no longer with us. She... er, burned up on re-entry.
Nina: I had a boyfriend who used to burn up on re-entry. He walks with a limp now...

There are recipes and accounts of having served as well as consumed the dish. I have never tasted brains and eggs and probably won't, and not just because of bovine spongeform encephalopathy. I find simply the consideration of consuming them perhaps as you do: nauseating.

A few songs have been recorded with the title "Brains and Eggs"; here's a place to download an mp3 of Los Straitjackets' riff. Before Aimee Mann formed 'Til Tuesday, she was in a band called the Young Snakes, who wrote a different version by the same name. I can't seem to dig up any published lyrics, so go give a listen.

I'll be happy to answer any further questions you may have ...

(This morning it's Total mixed with Honey Nut Cheerios, a banana sliced over the top and sprinkled with cinnamon. Tomorrow, back to the soy protein shake with strawberries and blueberries blended in. I don't drink cow's milk and haven't for years; Silk Soy Milk -- the Enhanced version with omega-3s and such -- is what replaces it.)

No comments: