Thursday, January 13, 2022

Thursday Wrangle from Far Left Texas, Part 2: Evan Smith cashes out


My one and only conversation with the demigod came shortly after his baby's birth in 2008, or maybe '09.  I don't remember the details, but his call to me was regarding my criticism here of the TexTrib's polling at the time (they then, and still do, use YouGov, but I can't recall if the wizards at UT were partnering with him at that early stage or not.  I could go digging in my archives for the post, or I could start tagging posts so I don't have this problem, but ... you know.)

The only thing I clearly recollect was his terse responses that sounded like they were coming through gritted teeth, and an odd banging of pots and pans in the background.  It sounded, literally, as if someone was throwing them around.

The Trib used to run a blog ticker on the front page in those days, and this one was part of it.  That eventually disappeared, along with whatever clout political blogs ever had.  That wasn't Smith's fault. Shit happens.

As my tweets infer, I won't miss the guy.  He's not just the Texas version of Roger Ailes (minus 250 lbs. or so and the freak right bit) but also a confirmed duopolist.  The establishment POV comes no more based.  He's taken a lot of oil and gas money to raise his child, as everybody in Deep-in-the-Hearta thinks you must to get anywhere.  Like so many other New Democrats, he'd probably be more comfortable voting Republican if they just hadn't lost their cotton-picking minds.  It's been a tough year -- a rough couple of years -- for everybody, even the wealthy and well-connected apparently, and a two-year retirement plan is ... well, what you get to do when you own the shop.  He's not fading away.  He's got too many sycophants to just let go.


Let me move on and blog about more significant news; some of the developments regarding state policy that are affecting our lives.


More on that legal case, Miles v. Texas Central, here.

Here's a few jobs and workforce updates.


And some media notes collected over the past few days.


And the calm-me-downs to close.

No comments: