Thursday, September 09, 2021

The Thursday Wrangle from Far Left Texas


People keep asking me: "Why do you call him Governor Fish Lips?"


SB8 -- the Texas abortion ban -- has been the hottest topic of the week, with more than enough media coverage to link to.  So I selected only a few of the secondary headlines, in case they got buried in your news review.


I'm leaving a lot out: the DOJ's announcement this morning, Mimi Swartz at Texas Monthly identifying the legal mind behind the bill, AOC's description of Abbott's ignorance.  Here's Amanda Marcotte from Salon about that.


Marcotte has it exactly right.  More Texas politics in the next post, under construction; wrapping up the Lege-between-specials business with a few more items before moving on to the rest.


Another fix-what-I-vetoed.

I thought I was caught up on environmental and criminal and social justice posts this week, but I wasn't.  So here's more of that news.


More Musk further down.  And a story I've been tardy on: meet the new Downwinders at Risk.


That's my segue.


Elizabeth Rossi of Civil Rights Corps and Amanda Woog of the Texas Fair Defense Project, writing at Grits for Breakfast, excoriate Harris County DA Kim Ogg and the Houston Chronicle Editorial Board for lining up behind the "tuff-on-crimers".  And Law and Crime tells us about a Trump-appointed federal judge in Texas who has appointed himself the Emperor of ICE.

A couple of state policy developments worth noting:


If you still want to understand why Musk can pick up the phone, call Abbott, and say, "stop whatever it is you're doing and come out here and eat my ass", this time-lapse drone video of Musk's truck factory on the east side of Austin -- still under construction but nearing completion -- is nothing short of mind-blowing.

Wrapping today with these.

1 comment:

Gmarine said...

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation. However, I'm finding this topic to be actually one thing that I believe I would never understand. Thanks a lot.