Sunday, August 12, 2007

Three hundred and fifty have Changed the Equation

As a result of the assist from the Great Orange Satan coming out of Yearly Kos in Chicago last week, as well as yesterday's live blogging at firedoglake, Rick Noriega's netroots supporters now tally over 350.

For you math geeks that's 45% of the goal at 36% of the distance to the finish line. There were a few early detractors of this effort but the Noreiga Express has a full head of steam now. Even prominent Republicans are getting on board:

One of the top Hispanic Republicans in the nation says he cannot support U.S. Sen. John Cornyn in the next election because of the position Texas’ junior senator has taken on immigration reform.

Houston businessman Massey Villarreal told the Guardian he would instead back Democrat Rick Noriega, a state representative from Houston. Noriega is exploring a campaign for the U.S. Senate.

“I have decided to support Rick Noriega for U.S. Senate as a Democrat. I just don’t think John Cornyn hears my community,” Villarreal said.

“I know he (Cornyn) supports some issues that affect my community but immigration reform is one of the defining positions in my community. I have got to support what is good for my community. At the end of the day, regardless of party, we have to come home to our community, where we grew up in the grassroots.”


So are you in yet?

No comments: