Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Spanking the fundies with their own Bibles

My sincerest apologies to those who've been checking here for something fresh and finding nothing. Between the campaign and maintaining my small but TLC-requiring client base and some rather debilitating vertigo for the past few weeks, I just haven't kept pace.

I did find this today worth sharing.

On March 1st, in Annapolis MD, at a hearing on a proposed constitutional amendment to prohibit gay marriage, Jamie Raskin, a professor of law at American University and candidate for the Maryland state Senate, was requested to testify. At the end of his testimony, Republican Senator Nancy Jacobs said: "As I read Biblical principles, marriage was intended, ordained and started by God -- that is my belief. For me, this is an issue solely based on religious principals."

Raskin replied: "Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."

The room erupted in applause.

Senator Jacobs could also stand being reminded that the Bible discloses eight varieties of "approved" marriages, including that of a rapist and his victim and assigned marriages among slaves.

No comments: